Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hello,

Ive just bought an original 67 1500 bug.

What are the exact colours that the wheels should be?

i know that its L282 Lotus white for the rim, but is it gloss or semi gloss black for the hub?

Also just out of curiousity, what size should the tyres be from the factory? 155? whats the most acceptable radial? firestone?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Dubster
14 years ago

Hello,

Ive just bought an original 67 1500 bug.

What are the exact colours that the wheels should be?

i know that its L282 Lotus white for the rim, but is it gloss or semi gloss black for the hub?

Also just out of curiousity, what size should the tyres be from the factory? 155? whats the most acceptable radial? firestone?

Robb wrote:

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/search.php?searchTerm=155+X+15 

Personally I would say that Michelins are probably the closest you can get to factory tyre today.

I have a '67 1500 myself, do you have any photos of your car to show us?
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
thanks for the info, but £155 a tire is out of my price range.

heres my bug, 80k miles from new

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Michelin XAS radials predate your car. They could have been fitted back then (in theory).

Interesting info here.
https://www.michelin-passion.com/passion/front/templates/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=10&lang=EN 

I wonder if a 165 Michelin X would look good on my car?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Dubster
14 years ago
VERY nice car, even still has the rare-as hub caps.

:)

I hope you're keeping it stock?

Whereabouts in the country are you? I also need tyres for my '67 1500, so I wondering if we could get a better deal if we combined out order?
December 1966 UK 1500 Beetle
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
those tyres are well out of my price range, im in the midlands, what about you?

the car is so original, even the og carpet is unmarked!:d
14 years ago
Greeting's

As far as I can tell it's gloss lotus White with a lusterluss black centre. Now in modelling terms we (those rivet counting plastic model bashing persons) term 'lusterless' as to be half way between matt and satin coat.

I have a (built Dec. '66) 1967 Super Beetle and the car is Lotus White overall, black interior, Lotus White rims with the afore mentioned lusterless black centre's. I've done as much research as I can on this and although my word is not gospel, it's what I'm going to do ...

I appreciate peoples comments but opinions differ.

Oh for new tyres, I couldn't get Continentals/Michelins for the beetle and had to settle for a set of Kumho 728/738's ... They're fine for the beetle and cost me R500 each, which is about £80 BP...

My beetle's restoration is underway as we speak ...
Bruce Jones
14 years ago
UserPostedImage

Here is a 1967 Export (US-spec) VW with just over 6,000 original miles on the clock. The spare wheel is new and has never been mounted. Outer rim color is L282 Lotus White, and inner wheel is LD43 Grey Black. This color combination would also be correct for your Lotus White car, if it is a Deluxe or Export model.
Bruce Jones
14 years ago
Sorry, I mis-read your original post and saw your photos. It appears that your car is Savannah Beige. The wheel color combination is the same.
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
brill, thanks guys.

i was thinking of fitting some 165/80 firestones all round, as the 155's seem a bit skinny.

hoping to drive this to europe this year for the spa show :d
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
ok, so im going to have the wheels blasted and then powder coated the hub colour, and paint the rim myself in the booth with Lotus White.

so do you think Semi Gloss Black for the hub would be close enough?
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
finally got some pics of the clean up.......

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

repainted the wiper arms
UserPostedImage

and the reflectors
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

cleaned and detailed under the bonnet
UserPostedImage

next up new tyres and repainting the wheels 🙂
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
here it is at the vworld show a few years back
UserPostedImage

decided to get the tinware powdercoated over this winter too....semi gloss black right?
pre67vw
14 years ago
Looks fantastic! :beer: 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago

wheels are now off and at the sandblasters! old tyres are in the bin, worn and 3 of them were full of nails!

gonna get powdercoated gloss black and the rim will be painted lotus white in the booth 😎

165 firestones all round......prob gonna leave the trim rings off. havent decided
vicpolky
14 years ago
Looking good Rob :beer:
Personally I'm with you on the trim rings, leave 'em off.
55Kab
14 years ago

Looks fantastic! :beer: 😎

pre67vw wrote:

At the moment. The poor lad is getting confused as he's on the wrong forum! I see you haven't mentioned "slammin" or "earlies" yet Rob? :lol:

I think this car is far too OG and nice to mess with, you should leave it stock! :wink:

Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
not confused, no exactly where im at 😉 already have one lowered car :)

yup its staying as wolfsburg intended.

and yes although i have an nos set of trim rings for it, i'll leave em off.
mrsherbie
14 years ago
What a stunning car! That valance condition is heaven! ditto that black 67 is a dream car! Personally I would leave it as it is but I can see why you want to tidy the wheels. I was going to leave the tatty og wheels on my chubby chick but I was told the car looks 'under-wheeled' ( new phrase to me :lol:) But he meant my wheels drag the rest of the car down, so I am swapping them for a (55kab traitorwagen style :oops: 😳 :lol: ) 'upgrade' and keeping my tatty og ones in the shed.
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Robb
  • Robb
  • Guest Topic Starter
14 years ago
yer the paint on the rims majorly let the car down, and the rims had been hand painted at some point in cream rather then white.

prob going to split the body from the pan too, and strip, repaint and detail the inner wings and underside of the wings, as theres a very small amount of metal work to do. aiming to get it done for stanford hall. after that the tinware on the engine will be blasted and painted too 🙂 all bone stock though 😎